Monday, September 15, 2008

Why History is Fun

"In 1934, Japanese industrialists in China spread the rumour that they had converted Manchuria to the Japanese state of Manchukuo. At that time, China was ruled by Emperor Pu-Yi."

"What's in a name?" Shakespeare asked. If his parents were Chinese, he'd know.
As for the Japanese, their randomness KILLS me! I bet they were just jealous that Fascism was grabbing all the attention. Proving most definitely, that insecurity is NOT just 21st century teenage territory.

"In 1954, The French found themselves cornered by the Vietnamese at the island of Dien Bien Phu."


Now this one actually made me go all nostalgic. I recalled the time when my life's ambition was to be a legendary magician, and my oh-so-original incantation was 'abracadabra-hocus-pocus-gili-gili-phu.' Dien Bien Phu has quite a similar ring to it.

If I'd studied a little more, this blogpost would be longer. But you have been spared.

6 beep/s:

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

then here's something better. d'you know the name of the economic reforms initiated in Vietnam to support free market reforms?

Doi Moi.

Doi. Moi.
Yoghurt. Ladder. I didn't stop laughing the entire class. Which is good because the class consisted of one teacher and two students. history is BRILLIANT fun :D

azuria said...

As for the Japanese, their randomness KILLS me! <---- All hail the Japanese ^_^ Nothing's complete without them...*dreamy sigh* Go Japan...

azuria said...

oh...and you HAVE to listen to we didn't start the fire...love the seemingly random sense in it. ;))

Death On Two Legs said...

@priyanka-

1. DOI MOI! Bloody hell. All hail, chinks.

2. Just 2 others in the class, and you laughed throughout. Reminds me of this E.Lit class. Our teacher is sort of senile, though a good soul. And I being in a particularly giggly mood that day, was finding her exceptionally funny. At one point she turned to me and rolled her eyes, and I suddenly burst out with this deafening yelp of laughter, put my head down on my desk and laughed for a whole minute. The class was paralysed.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

I had a friend named Doimoi...no wait,might have been Moidoi...I swear I'm not kidding.

This would have made me go all nostalgic had it not been for the...well, who/whatever it is that decides what we are to study. We still have to study history.*sob*

Death On Two Legs said...

@Anoorag- WHAAA? WHY? Pass subject?