Saturday, November 22, 2008

Universal. Not.

The greatest poems have universal themes.

I will write one like that.
Now.

Today was a tiresome day.
Oh wait!
I probably shouldn't have told you that.
What if you think it wasn't tiresome?
Worse, what if you think I don't think it was tiresome?

I suppose I must clear my head of all opinions.
Emotions too- nasty, interfering mumblejumbles!
No no. I am not imposing my thoughts on you.
You may well like emotions.
But then again, who am I to grant you that liberty?

I suppose I am too self-centred.
No matter how hard I try, I can't rid this poem of the personal touch.
Tell you what?
I'll leave it incomplete.
Yes, I'll leave a wonderful, empty blankness for you to fill in.
However, if you feel that the blankness is merely an optical illusion, I won't contradict you.

Is this even a poem?
Now that,  is open to interpretation!
In fact, it can even be interpreted as NOT open to interpretation.
In which case......
MY PURPOSE HAS DEFEATED ITSELF!

Defeated.
I have reached my conclusion.
A conclusion that is definite, specific, individualistic, UNCHANGEABLE, and BEYOND contest.
I can't do this.

8 beep/s:

D'Evil Sam said...

I like the not part of the greatest poems having universal themes...

Tuntuni said...

anushka, i LOVE it. really. its great.

reflections said...

HOW do you do it??? amazing, really!

azuria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
azuria said...

Awesome...in the true sense of the word.\m/

(had to delete the last post coz someone accused me of plagiarism *rolls eyes*)

Prince of Mirkwood said...

Good one!

kd said...

who told you all great poems have universal themes though?
nice one by the way.

Death On Two Legs said...

it's 'UNIVERSALLY' agreed upon by poetry critics.