Monday, January 12, 2009

Colourpencils

In a tin on my desk,
They stand day after day.
Unused, 
But not really neglected.

Neglect inspires pity.
My colourpencils seem perfectly content
To be left alone;
Revelling in their own brightness.

I don't need them now...
Class 12 considers itself 
Above such trifles,
But try telling me to throw them away.

I wonder why they mean so much to me...
Is it only because they bring back memories?

Memories of map-pointing, 
Of Mickey-Mouse outlines
Waiting to be filled in.
Of monochrome syndrome 
That gave way to 
Religion Contrast.

''Peach? Oh, you mean SKIN colour.''
''Look look, 
The yellow is more golden than the gold!"

Memories can be fun.

But when, 
Preoccupied,
I reach out for a pen
And see a colourpencil
In my grip,
It's not a memory that makes me smile.

When I test the shade 
On any piece of paper
I can find,
It's not to refresh my memory.

I guess we're friends,
My colourpencils and I...
And friends love saying 'hello'.

12 beep/s:

D'Evil Sam said...

Never got to colour Micky Mouse and I sucked at geography.
But I like pencils though....not too sure about colourpencils....maybe the non-wax ones.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

colour pencils do add colour to one's life.

Ravis said...

Very true!
And an extremely interesting theme for a poem, if i might say so.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Ravis- You may say so indeed :D Thanks!

@Sam- I sucked at Geography too.

spriblah said...

all you class 12's stole us bechara baccha's colourpencils so I'm not even sure I still have any but nice post :)

bornconfused said...

i love mu colourpencils!!!!!!!
and i have the 48 pack(the BIG 1s!!!)
i absolutely promise that i will continue scribbling with them even when im in class 12!!!!
and just btw i love all your blogs!

blinknmiss said...

have you heard the song 'lemon tree' by fool's paradise? irrelevant, but this post reminds me of it...

Death On Two Legs said...

I've heard one which goes like -'Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet.' Is that by Fool's Paradise?

blinknmiss said...

sorry, the band's called fool's garden, not paradise... the song's pretty simple...

Death On Two Legs said...

HAHA.
You will not BELIEVE which Lemon Tree I was thinking of.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/peter,+paul+&+mary/lemon+tree_20107749.html

Zees one.

blinknmiss said...

yeeks. oh lord no. the one i'm talking about goes "i wonder how, i wonder why, yesterday you told me by the blue blue sky, and all that i can see is just a yellow lemon tree.." etc etc




the total irrelevance of this whole train of thought strikes me anew.

Death On Two Legs said...

I guess it was the colours in the lyrics that reminded you of the song.

Nah, let's not spoil it by finding connections.

It IS irrelevant, and we are happily, if slightly forcibly loony :D