Monday, January 19, 2009

Sixpence for your thoughts?

I've often said my life consist of patterns. Well.....................

 
It Does.

During my Selections, History was the first exam. I had a 3-day holiday before it. I spent it reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray.' It barged into my head, kicked out the few sane thoughts in there, and just stayed put.

This time, History was the last exam. I had a 3-day holiday before it. I spent it re-reading 'The Moon and Sixpence.' 
RE-Reading. No harm in that, right? After all, I knew the storyline already. Like that did ANY good! 
I can't say that 'The Moon and Sixpence' is very ambiguous or multi-layered. But somehow, every experience I have helps me understand it a little bit better. So everytime I read it, it's never quite the same.
And Maugham--- may his evil and obscenely talented soul squirm in guilt--- he writes in a way that holds you. You don't give a damn if you know what's coming, you still want to keep reading.

And the way he's portrayed CHARLES STRICKLAND. Hell. I know I could fall in love with Strickland. He's not good-looking, he hasn't got flair, not even a way with words. I'd  probably think 'How crude' and act all la-di-dah when I'd see him for the first time. But if a person is driven by some raw, overwhelming power, I guess one's body responds to it naturally. Especially if that power is translated into genius.

Anyway, the point is not just to stay away from Stricklands in real life.
The much pricklier, MUCH more painful point is-
My Selections History paper was messed up.
My Rehearsals History paper was messed up.

It's not like I didn't study at ALL. But you know what? Somewhere down the line, I've lost interest in a certain entity.
That which is the inspiration of all 21st-century school plays. 
The Education System.
And E.S has realised it. E.S is affronted. E.S is taking revenge.

I just got this curious word-verification- 'Pedist.' Sounds like a legitimate word. What exactly could it mean? 
To my disgruntled temperament, it sounds like a 'paedophilic sadist.' That is what E.S is. A PEDIST.

All I've got to do is discuss Pedistic theories in my Psychology VIVA tomorrow. Complete the pattern, that would.

16 beep/s:

kd said...

i've been waiting for you to crack,i always had a suite along with me and jason at the asylum.move in netime you'd like.

D'Evil Sam said...

Too many human casualties in the book....but Charles is a a post impressionist at best. Gauguin-ish in his treatments.

But I loved 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'

P.S: History does suck. Especially the damn Indian bit. Why did you take it though?

Death On Two Legs said...

I LOVE it.
It's really interesting.
Indian History too, especially as it's so relevant.

It's just bloody tough to complete the syllabus.

cry freedom said...

this is why i always read uninspiring books during my exams.

the book i'm reading right now is pretty graphic. not in a good way. the kind of horrific shit that stays in your head. like god of small things. or sea of poppies.

Death On Two Legs said...

I haven't read either :'(

I must.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

Or you can just study for the viva...
lets put up a community on facebook to protest against pedism!

Ravis said...

If you haven't read God Of Small Things, then you must. Picture Od Dorian Gray made me feel the same way as you. And I must read Sea Of Poppies and this Sixpence book.

Hell, I can't wait for the Madhyamiks to end!!

Oh, and thanks, thanks a LOT for commenting on my blog. A comment from you means a lot to me, though I dunno who you are and couldn't care less. I fell in love with your blog the first day I visited it and read "I love cameras" which was the latest post back then. And I was so amazed by it that I went and marked your blog my Discovery Of The Year 2009! Lol! My friends love this blog too.

Are you a South Pointer, by any chance? Or even an Ex-Pointer?

Death On Two Legs said...

Aww thanks, that made me feel REALLY good :D

No, I'm current MHS. Not current for too long though, I'm in my last year of school =[

ISCs coming up, so I feel the same way as you.

Vangmayi Parakala said...

Well what can I say...you've got the story of my life.

And someone's suggestion about the Facebook Anti Pedist group thing...you should totally get one going. I mean it.

I'm in foshez.

blinknmiss said...

rehearsals = crap.

god of small things has this disgusting part about a pedist who feels up estha when they go to watch sound of music.

the association has now been permanently made in my mind.

Death On Two Legs said...

@blinknmiss- Holy shit! That sounds disturbing.

I think Pedist has now come into official existence. What a first word to have invented!

spriblah said...

The comments on your blog are actually longer than your post and by the time I'm done scrolling through the comments I've forgotten what I wanted to say and what the post was about.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

may History live forever. sad zoke, i know.

anyway, i love this post. okbye.

Death On Two Legs said...

@spriha- That's the secret to apparent popularity. Write short posts and reply to every comment you get :D

@Priyanka- Thanks :P

spriblah said...

Ya, would be nice to try that out but for that I need comments to reply to you know.

spriblah said...

Oh but now that I scrolled down the list of comment without reading them I remember what I was going to say.
I Started reading Kite Runner the day before my Physics paper and ended up finishing that day with a very blank Physics paper to show for that so I know where you're coming from.
Shit, I added to your "apparent popularity"