Tuesday, January 6, 2009

This is an extract from one of the essays we're supposed to do for Bengali. Translated. NOT exaggerated.  


'During the times of Nawab Sirajuddaullah the joys were many.  
The children would listen to fairtytales told by their tender, affectionate grandmothers, and fall asleep on their laps.

The young men would walk around bare-chested, with the pleats of their dhoti swinging and a colourful gamchha thrown over their shoulders. They would generally carry an expensive songbird, but in the worst of conditions, at least a bulbul. A comb would be tucked into their long curls. With betel-juice stained lips half-parted in a whistle, they would roam the neighbourhood. The old men would eat to their hearts content, then smear oil all over their body, hit the bed and snore away to glory.  

THOSE WIVES WHO WERE GOOD, would cook and keep the whole household happy. They would scold the children with their heads wagging and nose-rings jingling. In the evening, they would gather at the ghat and talk of oh-so-many things! The older ones were exuberant and emphatic, the new brides used hushed tones and assumed demure postures. These women would illuminat the ghat with their radiance and sweet laughter.'  

This is the gayest thing I've read in my whole damn life. But it has it's positives, or rather, positivE. I got to see my mum enact the entire thing, mock-jatra style. I wish I had the video.

9 beep/s:

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

hahahaha. here's to fun moms :D

D'Evil Sam said...

Betel juice, Ghats, Dhotis....I hate them all. They remind me of stench and stairways in government buildings.

Death On Two Legs said...

I'm neutral regarding dhotis.

But I think those men who can carry of pajama-punjabis/sherwanis are really sexy!

Prince of Mirkwood said...

It's almost one of the gayest things I've ever read....and some people have a habit of trying to make me read really gay stuff!

Xiamaze said...

what in god's name is this..
and i love ur blog adress.


yeah its prettty gay.

Clezevra said...

That is so not real... you actually wrote that... ha ha ha...

Death On Two Legs said...

This is an essay called 'Shekaler Shuk Dukhho' by Akshay Kumar Maitra.

I wrote answer on it.

Opaline said...

You must remember that the time and context this was written in influences the style and substance of this. But then I'm guessing this is ISC Bangla reading, in which case you're excused. =)

Death On Two Legs said...

Heh, it is.

BUT- Babu was time and social-context influenced. I don't mind it. It's sarcastic and sensible.

This is just...
so POINTLESS.