Monday, May 11, 2009

Song of a Circus Clown

There are people who will jump to write
On every 'bit' and 'but' they can.
One topic, very popular
For years has been 'The Modern Man'.

But clowns too, have been written on.
(In more ways than the usual one-
Which is: the sunny-yellow clothed
And sunny-hearted ray of fun.)

We clowns have been imagined as 
Evil things with evil looks,
Who engage in acts that one
Cannot depict in picture books.

(Of course there are too many things
That if you write for Children's books
Can get you thrown right rightaway
Into the lowest class of crooks.)

We've been romanticised as men
Always capable of making
Sacrifices, for spreading 
Laughter when their hearts are breaking.

Someone having read such things,
(Such things will drive the world berserk)
Asked me if we ever feel 
Ashamed and tired of our work.

I did not answer him then, but
I'll tell you now, I'll tell you once,
No, we do NOT squeal with joy
At the thought of playing dunce.

The dreams we had as little children
Didn't include falling down,
And we would love exerting extra
Muscles just to frown a frown.

But I'm not saying I'm not happy,
I feel quite happy on the whole
About my job. It's all because 
Of each misguided, hapless soul

That comes to watch us circus clowns.
How bored and boring they must to be,
If corny gags that make us gag
Are what they truly love to see.

They look so stupid when they laugh,
(Especially those whose paunches quiver),
It's funny that they pay to sit
In the heat, and sweat a river.

Tiny boys--- who suck their sticky
Thumbs, and sticky candy bars;
Believe that Rudolph lent his nose
To us, and brought us here from Mars,

Believe our voices were born squeaky
And our hair, a frizzy mess---
Make me feel supremely 
Intellectual, I must confess.

So yes, however much we hate
To play the perfect fool for you,
It's worth it, if we get to see
You act the fool so nicely too.

11 beep/s:

Aoi said...

Brilliant :o

Reminds me of the Joker [batman] for some reason XD

"So yes, however much we hateTo play the perfect fool for you,It's worth it, if we get to seeYou act the fool so nicely too."


how TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Aoi said...

=.=....blah! the lines are all together >.<

Rick said...

Excellent poem!

Every stanza has its own moment. I especially liked the parts in the brackets.

Of course, by this age, everyone stops to think from the the clows's perspective once in a while. Or do they? Dunno.

I liked your views on it. Say, you are a brill poet! :)

D'Evil Sam said...

"I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments"

Morrison said that.
I repeat him quiet often :)

Death On Two Legs said...

@Aoi- I don't think it deserves the tag of Batman.Joker-reminder. But thanks a ton :D

@Rick- Hehe, writing the parts in the brackets was fun for me!

@Sam- Morrison makes you indulge in repetition. Quoting, replaying tracks, etc.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

better than the peom u made me read before this..do u secretly work as a clown on weekends? coz i think i saw a familiar clown at my illegitimate child's birthday last weekend...and my paunch did NOT quiver!

Death On Two Legs said...

:O

Not better than Anne Sexton. No way. But seriously, thank you.

And I could never bring myself to dress up as a fat, red-nosed, nasel-voiced thingy. I'm sorry, but there it is :P

Sphinx said...

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
- The watchmen

Clowns always reminds me of IT (Stephen King)

Death Pixie said...

Well written!!
hope to see more!

'~DeATh PiXIE~'

Death On Two Legs said...

@sphinx- I want to read that book. The concept intrigues me.

@Death Pixie- Thank you :D There will be more, there is always too much, in fact :P

reflections said...

reminds me of rukmini's role in the play "the line"...remember the skit that they performed under TC's guidance?