Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm Thunder-struck

This is based on a true incident that I can't get out of my head. Almost every little detail has its foundation in reality.

Let me tell you a story
That I find rather frightening.
A man was struck no less than
Seven separate times by lightning.

How the lightning never missed;
And how the fellow never kissed
Goodbye to life, gave quite a twist
To his dinner-table talk---
Like the story of his guess
At nature’s cyclic ruthlessness,
When a storm- to his distress-
Broke out before his morning walk.

To counter Nature stylishly,
When he left the house---
He took along a bucket
Full of water just to douse
The fire that would singe his
Understandably short hair,
But be put out before his scalp
Was left all black and bare.
(The fire that would flare up
When he would be lightning-struck.)
He knew he was not blessed
With very innovative luck.
 
But that was early on.
Towards the end he grew quite bored.
And whereas another man 
Might have praised the lord,
And gloriously gone about
As god’s own wonderchild.
This man reacted in a way
More muted, though not mild.

After the seventh time,
In hopelessness he cried-
‘What the hell? Enough’s enough!’
And shot himself. And died.

13 beep/s:

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick said...

Wow. Nice story, reminds me of that man in "The curious case of Benjamin Button" Who spoke up at strategic times about how he was struck seven times.

Glorious glorious poem. And Interesting.based on True incident, you say?

Wow.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

did u know radhika was trying to set me up with u? dont u think she looks like ma durga?

blinknmiss said...

If this is true- and I see no reason to doubt your word- it is either very funny or very depressing.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

anushka, you are very very good at this kind of thing

*wide grin*

Death On Two Legs said...

@rick- People have been telling me that. I must get round to watching the movie.

@Anoorag- I know:D And yes, she does! Though I wonder why this poem reminded you of that.

@Shalmi- It is a troo. And I waver between finding it violently depressing and outrageously funny.

@Priyanka- *much wider grin*
Thanks, Pinka!

SPIRITed! said...

Haha! I found this to be violently funny , really :D

Um, if that made any sense.

Aoi said...

Reminds me of the old man in TCCOBB ...


Love the last verse ^_________^

The Orange Cat said...

Reminds me of 'The Gift' by the Velvet Underground.

Sphinx said...

excellent!
i spoke to s.mu about you. she says you're a lovely child. i tend to agree.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Shreya- I think I understand =] Grazie.

@Aak- So I've heard :D

@Orange Cat- I like Velvet Underground, I do!

@Sphinx- Awww. *melts into a pool of gratified ex-student*

randomblahness said...

The only words in the English language that don't rhyme are orange and sliver. Weird, huh?

Death On Two Legs said...

Well, that depends on whether you want a perfect rhyme or an end-rhyme. Because you could make the last 2 vowel sounds of sliver rhyme with a lot of words.


Oh Wait. After re-reading what you wrote, I think you mean 'silver.' Right?