Thursday, July 2, 2009

Farewell? Maybe.

Ok. So I might actually have to leave town. Just thinking of it hurts me... physically. I've heard this from people- the most raw and intense thoughts are often impossible to write on. The artist needs to stand back from his object and take in the view as a third person. Only then can he catch every twitch, every sigh, every glimmer. And only then will he have the courage to set them down as they should be.


There's probably something in that theory. Right now, my fingers are hovering over the keyboard; it doesn't seem as if they belong to me. Making them type out something coherent is a drain on my energy. I mean, REALLY, do I REALLY have to leave?

Leave behind whimsical thoughts on cloudy days? Because there's hardly a monsoon in Delhi.

Leave behind cabbies who take one look at me and know that I can't speak Hindi? Cabbies who actually force me to cross the road instead of letting the meter rise over the course of a traffic jam. No WAY will I get that kind in Delhi.

Leave behind my concert DVDs, my movies, some of my books? It's all very well to say that their contents are locked up in a little box in my head, and I can sift through the treasures when I want. It's not like being able to hold them in your hand and knowing that you own them.

And blog, the blog's important too. I'm sure I won't be able to blog this regularly, unless I have a hep roommate with a wireless internet connection on a shiny laptop. Of course, I'm presuming she'll like me enough to let me use her laptop. For all I know, she could be a hardore Facebook addict- the kind that snorts thunderbolts and screams bloody murder if deprived of a minute's social networking.

As for family. These are just some of the things I'll miss about them---

Correcting my mother's grammatical faux-pas (which she claims, are an inevitable result of visiting villages for fund-raising)... groaning over her purchases of the most EMBARRASSING Hindi song compilations, for the sake of ONE lonestar in the entire album..

Discussing politics and legal issues with my dad, and feeling quite self-important.... eating the divine mutton-preparations he makes...

Discussing ideal weapons for murder with my brother.... also, influencing him to support my favourite reality show contestant... also, I JUST REALISED- if he gets a girlfriend while I'm away, I won't be there to accuse him of sacrilege and secretly go 'awww'.

As for the cats, who are very much family.... their insane sleeping postures, their moodswings and idiosyncrasies, their resemblances to celebrities ranging from Fa Hien to Big Moose... what makes it worse is that I won't be able to keep in touch with them through phone or e-mail. What if they forget me by the end 3 years? Oh fuck. That would kill me.

I'd talk about friends and this one teacher whose 'changed my life', as the cliche goes. But all that would require a whole blog. Instead, I'm going to end on a shallow but utilitarian note. Never mind if I'm dragging all my emotions down to a cheap conclusion. What if the bathroom of my hostel sucks? THE HORROR.

12 beep/s:

Raka said...

You don't know me but I follow your blog regularly. I have a feeling you're going to get into JU ..so let's just wait and see, shall we?:-)

A Cameo said...

Sad vegetable. I am sure you'd make an awesome delhite.

Cats forget soon? I'll Ask the Orange cat.

The bathroom! Cheap conclusion, you say. Why, its a matter of paramount importance! We dont realise (or maybe we do) buts its much more significant than the kind of food you'll get. trulies.

Amazing cats you must have. Fa hien...!! Upload some photos before you go!

Opaline said...

Here is another depressing thought. Once you leave the city, you fall out all the loops you have ever been in forever. But then, new loops, new loops. If in Dilli and sad, contact post 2nd week August.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Raka- Eki. I MUST be knowing you. How else would you know I want to get into Joo? Or do I make it that obvious? :s

@Rick- Yes, the bathroom IS important. Glad to see that I'm not alone with that thought. Ooh sure, I'll upload pics.

@Opaline- :D

blinknmiss said...

Tosh. You haven't decided yet. Have you?

Tell me on the 7th. Get number from Spriha or something and tell as soon as possibly possible.

reflections said...

MISHTU!!!! You WILL get into JU...so you ARE staying back, just be happy. =)

Dhrubo said...

Delhi IS a sad place.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

You have to be my junior. Bas.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Shalmi- Joo pele nebo. The syllabus is too attractive.

@Soupy-Lalala. I can't hear yooo-ouu.

@Dhrubo- Hah. Point taken, long ago :P

@Double D- *looks starry-eyed at the thought of being your junior*

:D

D'Evil Sam said...

A monk and a dyslexic comic book character? I must say you have a way with names lady!
Delhi ain't so bad. The roads are a dream to drive on....after facing Calcutta asphalt that is :P

Death On Two Legs said...

That is a troo. I also like the old architecture popping up here and here by the side of aforementioned roads.

Death On Two Legs said...

I meant 'here and there*'. But 'here and here' sounds kinda nice... as though I'm pointing it out to you in person!