Saturday, September 5, 2009

Etiquette


It was a sultry afternoon,
As hot as it could get.
She would be burnt to cinders
If she weren't drenched in sweat.

More out of need than want she bought
A carton of fresh juice-
Icy-chilled, with fruity tang;
She put it to good use

By drinking it with all her zest.
She sucked upon the straw
And felt the cold juice splash within
Her stomach, throat and jaw.

Drops of water glittered
On the carton's minty green,
Against the light the straw glowed
With a pink translucent sheen.

In unadulterated bliss
She sipped and sipped and sipped.
Though the heat raged on, to her
It seemed the sun had dipped.

Till suddenly she heard
A little gurgle, then a hiss.
Her drink was coming to an end,
So was her newfound bliss.

To reach the little bit left
In the carton's lowest quarters,
Involved a process wrong in many ways-
Too loud, for starters.

Discarding femininity,
Upsetting every mind
That believed in the principle
Of discreet and refined,

Were other sins involved,
And add to those a frightening fact-
The level of attention
That her action would attract.

She thought and thought and thought
And thought, and thought and thought and THOUGHT.
Would she, should she, could she?
(Yes she COULD, but she OUGHT not.)

The remnants of her drink called out
To her seductively.
Finally, she realised that-
To act productively:

One must finish what one started.
So she closed her eyes and.. SLURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPED.
And since she'd gone so far she just
Went all the way and burped.

She got glances that were scathing,
But they were very few.
She got glances indulgently amused
But they were low in number too.

Most didn't even notice and
Went on their usual way.
While she sat and slowly savoured
The lingering flavour of her day.


16 beep/s:

Mer-curial-maiden said...

Till suddenly she heard
A little gurgle, then a hiss.
Her drink was coming to an end,
So was her newfound bliss.

- This is what I love most about how you write!

Sherry Wasandi said...

Ha!

I envy you.

Trisha said...

this is like something Carroll's Alice would say, if she was clever enough. quirky funny you! <3

Amrita said...

luvd ur post...it was hilarious!!....god bless u!! n keep writin more often..this was truly entertainin..

Diwakar Sinha said...

:D had it not been raining so much..I would have been inspired to buy myself another frooti tetrapack

SPIRITed! said...

I could *feel* it. The poem. The urge.
And I got up and made myself a glass of lemonade.

Heavenly.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Diwaka- I know, it's rather ill-timed. Ah well. Thanks anyway...

@Shreya- Ooh. That is so immensely flattering.

Azuria said...

^____________^ =D>

JD said...

Delightful! =D

Prince of Mirkwood said...

What if she suddenly felt the need to take a leak?:P Nice poem.

Aparajita Bhattacharya said...

I really enjoyed this. So realistic and so...well, I don't have words to describe it, but this is the way I feel when I drink Frooti on a hot summer day. To hell with propriety! =D

D'Evil Sam said...

I'll drink to this :)

Clezevra said...

Brilliant. Damn, I think I'll die of jealousy.

Death On Two Legs said...

@Diwakar- I called you Diwanka! Sorry. That sounds so wonderfully feminine though :P

@Aparajita- Someday, I'll make you say 'to hell with propriety' in front of me.

JD said...

"She got glances indulgently amused
But those were low in number too"

More of those glances, and the world's gonna be a much happier place!

Vangmayi said...

Oh man. Haha. I love how you turn the most randomest, most common place things into stuff as lovely as this.
I crave MinuteMaid now man. :D