Saturday, November 28, 2009

Updates

1. I have now saved at least 5 Airtel Service Numbers under 'Pissoff.' You do not know, you do not KNOW what pleasure there is in seeing 'Pissoff Calling' flash on your cell phone screen and then- serenely, sweetly- just let it go on ringing. Or you could cut them off. (I know that different people have their own ways of dealing with these infernal calls. In fact, the methods of 2 fellow freaks in blogosphere have caused me mild frustration before. But yeah, one should take a stand against such Consumerist Conspiracies. If you received E.V.E.R.Y. call of this kind, you would have spent at least half an hour of your life on Phone Service. The horror.)


2. My brother chanced upon a printout which said:

'Events- May Day Dance, Dog Cart Ride, Wedding and Confessions, Kill pheasants, Feeds Strawberries, Tess Slaps Alec.'

He asked me what that was about with a look of extreme curiosity. Now people who will be giving an exam with me on 7th December probably know that it's a list of incidents from a novel. ('Tess of the 'D'Urbervilles.') My brother is fresh from his Sports Day. His house won it. Hungover on the victory cake, he thought... yes- he thought it was a list of Sports' Day Events. The last item did confuse him somewhat. I would be a lot more worried right now if it didn't.

3. On the Playlist-
a) Since I've been Loving You- Led Zep.
Sahana once said, "This song is so good, it makes me want to do someone!" I don't think I can improve on that, nor do I want to. But god, the more I listen to Led Zep, the more thankful I am that they happened. Music would NOT be the same without them. I can't recall any band that's made more contributions to catchy, musically rich, and historic guitar riffs.

b) Julia- John Lennon. (He wrote it for his mother after she died.)

Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you...

Seashell eyes, windy smile...
Morning moon, touch me.

*shivers*
And that response has Nothing to do with the cold.

c) A Woman Left Lonely- Janis Joplin.
Janis Joplin was a woman if there ever was one. I absolutely adore her. That kind of raw, unadulterated passion is overwhelming and liberating at the same time.

4. A lot of what I'm reading is making me happy. Maybe it's just because this is 1st Sem and I can leave out what I don't like. But that aside. There are gems to unearth in the dungheap that every syllabus is thought to be.

'You shouldn't take a fellow eight years old
And make him swear to never kiss the girls.'

'Take the prettiest face,
...is it so pretty
You can't discover if it means hope, fear,
Sorrow or joy? won't beauty go with these?'
(Both by the incomparable Mr. Browning.)

'Tithonus.' I'd forgotten just how good it is. And I'm glad the last time I'm studying it isn't for the bloody ICSE.

Even 'Tess' . Ok, it's sentimental, it's melodramatic. But I know people like that and I love them. Ultimately, 'Tess' is intense and honest, which gets me.

Then, a lot of literary criticism is Very Cool. Even if it's saying some outrageous things, it says them with flair. If you hate a novel, a good essay on it can actually give you something interesting to think about without taking away your right to hate.
Harold Bloom was one stud. M.H. Abrams was another. Someday, even I will write something that breathes life into a lost little first-year. Something lucid, witty and insanely perceptive all at once.

But first- Oh I don't know what. But I do know that my stellar essay will not be written anytime soon. In the meantime, we can all play with virtual fishes.

14 beep/s:

soin said...

lz?? no way..they are good yes.but sabbath,dio and god hendrix did more to the rock that lz did.sabbath defined rock.hendrix defined what all you could do with guitar.dio got the devils horn.free

Deeptesh said...

NICE OBSERVATIONS REALLY!Thoroughly enjoyed this post.Weird that I was reading Browning when I read ur post...n yes, those lines have some kind of strange power in them.

Harold Bloom is really good.But then again, some critics I believe take it way 2 far at times.Like sum1 had written reading is nothing but mental masturbation n there is nothing but a sexual relationship between the reader n writer.Got intensely pissed off after reading that.That was supposed 2b a paper on the Sexuality in Frankenstein....only think it distinctly lacked was any remotely perceivable connection to the topic itself!!

Prince of Mirkwood said...

Err, proofread before posting. Oh and, hehehe!

randomblahness said...

My mum calls him Bakwas, Poora Bakwas and Rubbish. He's also called Zkill, poora bakwas stopped calling nowadays.

randomblahness said...

My mum calls him Bakwas, Poora Bakwas and Rubbish. He's also called Zkill, poora bakwas stopped calling nowadays.

Clezevra said...

That sums up Tess very well... and yes, I did guess what the summary referred to.

Tangled up in blue... said...

I think if ever there was a Janis Joplin of our times, she'd have to be Polly Jane Harvey..

and I agree, you dont get any better than Lennon.

I have never heard that particular song, though. Thank you.

And Tess of the D'Urbervilles is my favourite book by Hardy actually. It took a lot of patience for me to read Far From the Madding Crowd.

Anushka said...

@Soin- Remember, I never said greatest contribution to ROCK. That would be too extreme a statement. Neither was I saying they explored all the complexities and potential of a guitar. I was talking about guitar RIFFS, that are both catchy and musically rich. In this respect, I think Led Zep and Dire Straits rule.
As for Sabbath, it's ironic that they rank just behind Led Zep in VH1's list of 100 greatest metal bands of all time :) When you're talking about bands at that level, it's all a matter of perspective really. Personally, I like slightly more fluid, emotive music than the Sabbath kind.

@Deeptesh- that is Definitely sretching the sexuality issue a bit too far. And irrelevant, as you said.

@Spriha- Him WHO?

@TuiB- I haven't heard Polly Jane Harvey! Will.

Safdar said...

i know what i do with airtel calls.

Anushka said...

@Safdar- I know what You do with airtel calls.

Velocitygirl said...

That song still wants me to do someone.
Oh you know, jai tai anyone on street cholbe.
Heh heh heh. Ebhil laff.

Sherry Wasandi said...

I'm an ignorant newt. I've never heard of 'Tess of the 'D'Urbervilles'.

And Joplin...! Ahh.. Joplin.
Though I'm as big a fan of Grace Slick. If I remember correctly, they were associated in a lot of ways. Contemporaries, fellow wild-children of the 60's.

JD said...

Since I've been Loving You! It's like what the Joker's love story would have a soundtrack to! Haunting, haunting, haunting!
And Amen @ music would've never been the same without Zeppelin. Every month or so, I revisit the music and discover SO much more than I ever thought there'd be, it's unnerving!

And I just cannot resist this - Soin, the devil's horns are NOT an important contribution to music. They're just a menace which every next person does to describe anything from Britney Spears to the food in the mess.

Vangmayi said...

Okay you're doing Lit? Where?

My friend used to have "Airtel Jerks", but yes I must say, "Pissoff Calling" sounds much better!