Saturday, January 16, 2010

And what Are words, after all?

Today, my mother said 'thong' when she meant 'sarong.' The sentence taken as a whole just made it worse. My eyes and mouth turned into spheres of crystallized disbelief.

I suppose this is revenge for the time I asked her the difference between 'orgasm' and 'organism'. BUT AT LEAST I WAS LITTLE THEN.

13 beep/s:

Roshni said...

I wasn't,when I asked Dad the meaning of 'horny',intrigued by the 'Horny Celebrities' series on Radio Mirchi.And for those who don't know-they were imitations of what celebrity horns would sound like-baritone 'honk's or timid 'toot's.

Velocitygirl said...

I don't believe you. The use of the word little leads me to understand that there is wordplay involved. :D
Also, what are words you ask? They are all I have to take your heart away.
Aarey, maarbe na, joke merechi. :D

Sherry Wasandi said...

Well, my mother makes words as innocuous as "play" seem very VERY wrong more often than not.

Really. I have the strong suspicion she does it on purpose.

Prince of Mirkwood said...

Haha. Exactly how little were you and how'd you come across 'orgasm' when you were so little?

Anushka said...

HOW little I remember not. But I read it in the Calcutta Times. I was just trying to be educated bachha. Not the right choice of newspaper, I agree.

Riddhi G.D said...

Heehee. Upi's is funnier though. I canNOT believe she asked her dad. And chinta not, Mishtu. I keep mixing up organism and orgasm when i read aloud from my bio textbooks. :P

Anushka said...

Achha, Upasana's situation is actually really funny.

Priyanka said...

i said jhaant before ma once when i didnt know what it meant.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Arse Poetica. said...

chhi!
hahahahaha.

Somewhere Circus said...

Bechara Upashona. Bechara Anushka.
I had once asked my mother what 'sexual assault' meant, but I knew what it meant already. I had just asked her so she knew that I knew. And so she knew the source was she.

Anushka said...

@Priyanka- Eh ma. Hey, 'Ma' is so right in this context.

@Soumasree- :O What a delightfully wily little kid you were :D I am so proud.

Choi said...

Mine was "gandu". The mother was suitably scandalized.